Saturday, September 11, 2010

I Won't Be Defeated!

What a frustrating time I’m having.  After reading The Festival by Lovecraft and reminding myself of Robert Aickman’s Ringing The Changes I really want to read it again.  Convinced that I must have it in my book collection I’ve torn apart my bookshelves and dug out all my anthologies.  There’s plenty of his stories is those that I have found but not the one I’m looking for.  I googled it and found a few anthology names, but the library does not have any of them... grrrrr.  I found one on Fishpond but it is currently unavailable!!  Now I want to read it more than ever.  I won’t be defeated, I may have to scour some second hand book stores over the next couple of weeks.

Some bed-time reading
I have almost finished The Trial, by Kaftka.  It’s a nightmarish/David Lynch sort of situation, very bizarre and absurd.  I notice that he has written a few stories in the collections I have.  I also had to laugh at myself too after going through all of these books.  A couple of years ago I really wanted to read The Great God Pan by Arthur Machen, and couldn’t get it from the local library.  I asked one of my bookclubbers to get it from their Brisbane library system and in that I was successful.  I then had the task of getting it back to them so they could return it when I had finished it……. last night I found not only The Great God Pan but a whole collection of his short stories on my bookshelves!

Last night I finished Somewhere in Time by Matheson, and it did redeem itself with quite a satisfactory ending.  Now I am going to start on his short stories as I’m just sitting here waiting for the rest of my shopping to be delivered as half of it was missing yesterday.  How they could have got it so wrong totally defeats me?  

No comments:

Post a Comment