Tuesday, August 24, 2010

A Bit of a Mind Bend

Finally I finished The End of Mr Y In the end all that metaphysical talk got on my nerves and bored me.  I enjoyed the first half, and it was well written, but I didn’t like the character of Ariel Manto. She was self destructive and I think I got the message by her lifestyle choices, but the obscene language got a bit too much in the end – it was unnecessary.  It was a bit of a mind bend, but became pretentious, annoying and too long.

But, one thing I like about reading is: one book generally leads to another.  In this case I have been led to Edwin A. Abbott’s Flatland. I had heard of this book in another novel, but for some reason I thought it was made up for the storyline.  Having heard of it again I thought I would see if it was at the library.  It is and hopefully I can pick  it up on my way home tomorrow night.  Apparently Carl Sagan liked this book so much its ideas were utilised in his series Cosmos.

Book of the Dead ~ Diogenes' plans all went to hell, but he still managed to cause death and destruction beforehand.  The mysterious Constance has realised that he has played her for a fool and is pursuing him with the intention of assassinating him.  However, Pendergast is fast on the trail……. I like the way story has panned out.  At the beginning we’re under the impression that we’re in for a ‘curse of the mummy’ style novel when it’s not like that at all.

Harry Potter & the Order of The Phoenix ~ The trio are back at Hogwart’s but where’s Hagrid….?  Hermione, Ron and the loathsome Draco have been made prefects so I expect we’ll be having some fun with that throughout the novel!

I need to find out what is going on with i-Tunes.  It’s listing the bookmarks on each disc I'm uploading as 1, 10, 11, 12……19, 2, 20, 21………  it’s driving me nuts!!  I’m starting from scratch loading individually. It’s taking me all night. Help!!

No comments:

Post a Comment