Saturday, October 23, 2010

In One Fell Swoop

As predicted, I finished all my ‘books’ at pretty much the same time.  It’s nice to start my next set as a clean slate.

In summary, The Woman in White was excellent, despite the many narrators.  It certainly didn’t pay to be a female heiress back in the early 1800’s; it was an insidious tale of identity theft, though I’m not sure that the reveal as to how it was all done at the end was really necessary.  The reader is not so stupid and is able to work it out from the clues throughout the story; I found it just dragged the story out a little too long.

I can only give it 9 out of 10 however as Collins used that fated phrase which I seem to have developed a strange aversion to since reading Harry Potter ie ‘He looked wildly about’.  Aaaaaagh!  Sorry J.K. that is my only criticism of your writing!

Crime is not my favourite genre, but The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo was fresh and original.  It was rather slow getting off the ground, but it had a cracking revelation towards the end, and the revenge segment was sweet.  I look forward to reading the other two next year.  ‘1001’ books will be my priority until the end of December.

The Book of the Dead, I won’t say too much on this one or reveal the ending as I will write a review in the October Newsletter.  It wasn’t a masterpiece, but it was an okay read.  The only thing that really annoyed me were the many spelling mistakes in the text.

Inspiration for my next life - talk about
taking it easy!
The 15th Fontana Book of Great Ghost Stories were wonderful to re-read through adult eyes.  The Dead Man of Varley Grange, No Living Man So Tall and The Hanging Tree were the best of the selection, but they were all really good.  I’ve several Fontana books I want to re-read so looking forward to it once I’ve finished Mary Danby’s 65 Great Tales of Horror.

Talking of Mary Danby (after speaking with my all knowing mum) it has transpired that I bought the wrong book for Ringing The Changes.  It’s in the 65 Great Tales of the SUPERNATURAL.  So, once again, I await with anticipation the arrival of this book which I’ve ordered via Amazon.com.  ETA is 27th December……. Patience is a virtue they say, but I can’t understand why it should take so long????

My next reads then……… I’ve bought a copy of Choke by Chuck Palahniuk (the author of Fight Club), which is a ‘1001’ read, so that’s my physical book sorted.  The Lair of the White Worm (I just can’t help gravitating to titles like this) by Bram Stoker is on the Kindle and will be my lunch time read.  My audio book is The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick, as the next book club theme is ‘A Man’s Home is his Castle’.  The premise is that Germany won the war, allied with Japan, and the novel is set in the Pacific States of America……. 

Just thought I'd share this photo which I took today at Dreamworld.
Pi is the latest addition to the Tiger Island family.

No comments:

Post a Comment