Thursday, July 1, 2010

It's like Christmas!

After stuggling with my cold for the past couple of days and dealing with a heavy workload (my fault, I did take a week off just before the end of financial year!) I treated myself to a visit to the library on my way home from work tonight.  I picked up Solaris which I hope start reading this weekend.  It's not very long, only about 211 pages.....then I trotted over to my favourite section - the AUDIO BOOKS!  I'm quite excited by the six titles I chose, and am busy ripping them to my laptop as I type.

I couldn't resist it - I picked up Much Obliged, Jeeves and Jeeves in the Offing by P G Wodehouse.  If they are as funny as The Mating Season and What Ho! Jeeves I'll be in for a treat.  Different narrators this time so hope they do a good job.

Then I picked up Therese Raquin by Emile Zola.  Set in 19th Century Paris, it is about a woman and her lover who murder the woman's husband.  However they are haunted by visions of the dead man and are unable to enjoy their future together..... intriguing.

After being very impressed with 20th Century Ghosts by Joe Hill, I was very pleased to find the recording of Heart-Shaped Box, which is his debut novel.  Apparently the film rights have been bought by Warner Bros. Studios.....following in his father's footsteps for sure.

Now this next title really has me intrigued.  It's an Irish novel by Flann O'Brien, whose popularity had waned in recent times until this particular title (The Third Policeman) appeared in the TV Series Lost, which has given his book sales a nice unexpected boost.  It's only three discs, is supposed to be very funny but very surreal also.

Finally, I picked up a classic by M.R. James entitled Ghost Stories volume 1. 

I'm really going to enjoy listening to these (in between Harry Potter of course!).

Off to bed now......

PS I hope at least one of them is on the 1001 list!

No comments:

Post a Comment